Friday, January 29, 2016

Google.com, one of the most valuable domains on the Internet, was mistakenly sold for $12 last fall

5:59:00 PM By


The guy who bought Google.com from under Google's nose

Google paid $12,000 to get it back. 

The buyer was a former Googler, Sanmay Ved, who discovered Google.com on the list of domains available for sale on September 29. He bought it, charging the $12 fee to his Discover card, never really expecting the transaction to go through.

"I was hoping I would get an error at sometime saying transaction did not go through, but I was able to complete purchase, and my credit card was actually charged!" he wrote in a post on LinkedIn last fall.

He told CNNMoney he made the purchase simply out of curiosity.
"I thought at some point in time it would block me out, but I wanted to see how far it would go," he said.

Google offered to pay $6,006.13 to Sanmay Ved, who bought the Google.com domain for $12. It ended up paying twice that amount to a charity he picked.




The transaction did go through - for about a minute. He said during that brief time he got a flood of information from Google users, though he was not able actually change the Google home page. Then he got an e-mail from Google canceling the transaction.








0 comments:

Post a Comment